Monday, November 2, 2009

India-servations

-There are cleaners everywhere. While in the Delhi airport for 6 hours, I watched a guy go back and forth with a dust mop the entire time. Same goes at the office, with guys coming around my desk every 10 minutes dusting.
-Animals. All over. Driving home at night is crazy, with bulls, wild dogs, hogs and who knows whatever else running around.
-The side of the road is apparently a giant urinal. You can frequently see men at work while driving around.
-When Indians agree with you, they bob their heads side to side. This is difficult to get used to, and if you're trying to maintain eye contact, you may find yourself doing it too.
-If I were to start a business here, it'd be a car horn manufacturer or selling break pads. All you hear is horns and squeaking breaks. When my driver approaches someone, he honks. When he passes, he honks. When a wild dog runs in front of the car, he honks. When he's bored, he honks.
-To further the above, driving here is crazy. No one appreciates the concept of lanes. Everyone just cuts everyone else off in a giant swarm of vehicles. Even crazier, I haven't seen an accident yet.
-No knives. You eat a lot with your hands, and if using utensils, you use a fork and spoon. Each meal then ends with hand washing. If you're white, you might get a knife though.
-Everyone wants to help you. If you're carrying something, they'll probably try to carry if for you, and then ask for a tip in your home country currency. Best policy is to just say no thanks from the very beginning.
-Similar to the above, you really stand out in a crowd, and the crowd lets you know--as you have to get used to people just staring at you all the time.
-If you stand out, that means you're in position to be ripped off. Everyone will try to charge you 500% more. Best strategy with rickshaw drivers is to yell loudly, as they can't understand what you're saying anyways.
-Communication is difficult. Once you're miss-understood, you have very little chance of reversing things. While waiting for my car this morning, the security guard at my house asked if I wanted coffee. I said "no thanks," as I was going for a workout. He then asked if I wanted water, I said "sure." He then said he'd get me hot water (connecting to the coffee), I said "no thanks, regular water will be just fine." I ended up with a cup of boiling hot water. I appreciated the effort and drank as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
-Apparently warm water is commonly drunk in the winter (ie: 80 degree weather).
-Beers here have an MSRP on the back of them, like cars. Also, when the beer is brought to you at a bar, you're asked to feel it to make sure it's cold enough. This confused the heck out of me the first time.
-When ordering bottled water, you'll also be asked if you want it chilled or not. Also pretty confusing, as I thought that chilled was the only way to have water.
-Related to the cleaning, people are always sweeping on the streets and sidewalks here. I don't really get it though, as it just moves the dirt from one area to the next, where another guy is sweeping.
-Indians apparently love feedback. Whether at restaurants or on planes, you receive feedback forms to fill out. Best policy is to avoid these as well.
-When in a restaurant, the server will serve you everything. Don't touch the food dishes, as they may smack your hands away so that they can pile more food on your plate.
-Be careful how you order. Naan is delicious, but you have to be careful what you order this with. Indians match wet (like curries) with dry (rice & breads). Ordering tandoori chicken (no sauce) and naan is not a good idea--I had the restaurant manager question me on this one.
-When people meet you, they love to ask if you're married. As in, that's the 3rd question they ask after name & home country.
-Crossing the road here is an adventure, as cross walks do not exist. My general strategy has been to cross in front of ambulances, as they seem like the safest vehicle to be hit by.
-Most intersections have traffic lights, however, they also still have a guy directing traffic. I'm not really sure how to explain this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment